Discover THE RAINBOW MOUNTAIN (Vinicunca) and Ausangate Mount Trek, Vinicunca is better known by the locals as CERRO COLORADO in this 4-day trek! From high above, its geological formations reveal all their splendour, in contrast with the blue skies. The cordillera Vilcanota forms a formidable barrier between the coastal desert and the Amazonian jungle, and counts almost as many glaciers as the White Cordillera, Located at the south of Cusco and dominated by the AUSANGATE Mountain (6384 m), this far removed area has remained isolated from external influences of the Chilca, and kept intact much of its pre-colonial customs and habits. Qeros Tours Peru is very excited to be able to offer APPs travellers a hiking alternative that is second to none.
WHY VINICUNCA, THE RAINBOW MOUNTAIN?
This trek will satisfy the most demanding adventurer, creating unforgettable memories of sumptuous panoramas of high mountain, formidable glaciers and crystalline rivers, turquoise lakes, peaceful pastoral scenes of herds of alpacas kept by the local Andeans wearing their traditional, multi-coloured clothing. This new route, away from the beaten paths, is a true journey through wild and preserved natural wonders, where your only encounters will be at the VINICUNCA RAINBOW MOUNTAIN or PUCAPUNTA the red mountain, as well as small communities of Quechua-speaking Inca descendants of the Altiplano. The route we offer achieves a circuit of scale, passing by collars located between 4710 and 5200 meters on the PALOMANI PASS, CONDOR PASS to go back to the small village, starting point of the circuit.
Ausangate and Vinicunca Trek 5 Days Itinerary:
Altitude: 4050 - 5100 m. / 13287ft – 16732ft
High-season: May – November
Duration: 05 Days - 04 Nights
Level of difficulty: Difficult
*Minimum of 2 persons needed for this trek
Day 1: Cusco – Urcos – Tinqui – Upis – Arapa Pass – Yanacocha
We will leave Cusco early in the morning by bus. On our way to Tinqui (4050m/13287ft), we will pass small farms and meet local families. After a little break while we pack your belongings in duffel bags, our trek will start, heading towards the community of Upis (4400m/14436ft), to have the lunch-break and discover a beautiful scenery of hills and the frontal part of the snow-covered Ausangate. After lunch, we continue hiking up to the Arapa pass (4800m/15748f), before descending towards Yana ccocha (4500m/ 14763ft), our camping site for the night.
Transport time: 03hours 30
Hiking time: 6 hours
Day 2: Yanacocha – Pucacocha Pass – Anantapata
After breakfast, we enjoy amazing colours and lakes as we ascend towards Pucacocha Pass (4900m/ 16076ft). Thereafter, we will continue to Anantapata (4500m/14763ft) where we will camp.
Hiking time: 7 hours
Day 3: Anantapata –
After breakfast, we take the trail to another mountain pass. Dropping down, we'll hike by Lake Kayrawiri, surrounded by rugged mountain peaks and the great valley below. Variations of color are imbedded in the hillsides. Then we go on to Cerro Laya Grande via the massive glacier del Inca, and the most striking colors in the sediments of Yauricunca or Vinicunca. We lunch here in this unique landscape. Meet the hundreds of Andean geese nesting in the cliffs of Anta as we comeback to Ananta, from where we continue to Ausangate Qocha Lake (4650m/15256f) where we will camp.
Day 4: – Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca) Chillka - Cusco
We depaerture from Chilka by car at 12:30 pm
Arrive to cusco 4:00 pm
Hiking time: 2 hours
Transport time: 4hrs
Rainbow Mountain & Ausangate Trek 4 Days (Private Departure)
• Transport from the hotel to the town of Tinqui
• Return transport from Tinqui to Cusco
• Entrance to the Ausangate park
• Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
• High quality camping equipment (professional tents, UREKA tents for two persons. Mattresses, eating tent with table and chairs, bathroom tent).
• Meals during the excursion (Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks/option vegetarian)
• Cook and cooking equipment
• Horseman and mules, for all our camping equipment and personal luggage (Up to 7 kg.)
• Emergency horse (for minimal 2 persons)
• First-aid kit and oxygen bottle
• Breakfast on the first day.
• Sleeping bag (if you do not have a sleeping bag, there is the possibility of renting one)
Most of the people living in the region of the Ausangate are very poor and live from agriculture. Qeros Tours, in association with a small group of farmers strive to help this people. A small voluntary donation could help them to buy clothes or school supplies for example. The families will be very grateful.
(1) We will climb up 5100m/16732ft. Combined with extreme weather this trek can be hard work. We want you to remember this trek with a smile on your face, therefore, please ensure that you are well acclimatized, in good shape and healthy before heading off.
(2) Since the weather can be very cold and moist, your clothes - once wet - will not dry at night. We strongly advice you take some clothes to change.
What do I need to bring?
• Backpack with rain cover.
• Sleeping back.
• Clothing for warm and cold climate and a waterproof jacket.
• Rain pants and lightweight pants.
• Trekking shoes.
• Slippers or sandals.
• Woolen or synthetic socks and a sweater.
• Long- and short-sleeved polo’s/T-Shirts.
• Rainponcho and a hat.
• Sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle and sterilizing tablets, toiletries and toilet paper.
• Camera (wrapped in plastic bag), a flash light and batteries.
• Some snacks like chocolate bars and dry fruits.
• Original passport, original ISIC student card if applicable and extra money in soles.