The mountain chain of the Ausangate is situated in the Cordillera Vilcanota in the department of Cusco. It is one of the most remote high Andean zones of Peru and offers a spectacular trekking circuit along snowcapped peaks, lagoons, ice caverns and thermal waters. Furthermore, it houses a thousand-year-old culture. Hiking completely around this mystical mountain, we camp near hot springs and turquoise lakes inhabited by numerous bird species, including Andean geese and the almighty Andean Condor, and walk amongst herds of llamas and alpacas in remote native Quechua villages.
* Duration: 4 days/3 nights.
* Starting point: Cusco/Ocongate/Mallma.
* Ending point: Mawallani/Tinqui/Cusco.
* Physical Demand Rating: Moderate/Challenging.
* Age Restriction: 12-years-old and over.
* Trip Code: MTS - 008.
* Tour Type: Trekking, Cultural, Adventure.
* Accommodations: Camping/3 nights.
* Service Level: Standard - Deluxe.
* Guarantee: Departure is Guaranteed.
* Style: Personalized.
* Carbon Emissions: 350 CO2-E.
* Group Size: 2 Minimum, 10 Maximum.
* Transport: Horse, walk, Mini-Van.
* Price from: US $ (Contact us for more information)
Ausangate Trek, 4-day itinerary:
1st Day: Cusco – Mallma – Singrenacocha
Our journey starts early in the morning by heading towards Mallma (4,100m/13,395ft.), a village located southeast of Cusco where you will meet the rest of the Qeros team. During our bus ride, we will pass several little Andean farms and will enjoy the nice views. In Mallma, we will start hiking for approximately 2 hours towards our campingsite at the shores of the Singrenacocha lagoon (4,200m/13,780ft).
Transport time: 5 hours.
Walking time: 2 hours.
2nd Day: Singrenacocha – Tarapata Pass – Añasñiyucpampa
The sunrise over the Cordillera Vilcanota is spectacular and offers a beautiful view of the glaciers and the lagoons around us. Although we are high up in the Andes, the region offers a great variety of flowers & plants, such as the Andean Cactus. Furthermore, this area is home to the south american camelids, the chinchilla, the condor & the puma. After having passed the Tarapata Pass (4,600m/15,092ft) we will descend to the Añasñiyucpampa Valley (4,200m/13,780ft) our camping site.
Hiking time: 7 hours.
3rd Day: Añasñiyucpampa – Pupusayoc Pass – Pacchanta
The day starts with a walk towards the Pupusayoc Pass (4,900m/16,076ft) from where we will have an impressive view of several mountains, such as the Callangati and the Ausangate. Thereafter, we will descend to our campingsite in the native Quechua community of Pacchanta (4,300m/14,108ft). Enjoy your afternoon relaxing in the hot springs and at night, a typical dinner of the region called "Pachamanca".
Hiking time: 6 hours.
4th Day: Pacchanta – Tinqui – Cusco
After breakfast, we will head for Tinqui (3,850m/12,631ft) from where we will take the bus back to Cusco.
Hiking time: 3 hours.
Transport time: 5 hours.
• Private transport from the hotel to Mallma.
• Return by private transport from Tinqui to your hotel in Cusco.
• Entrance to the Ausangate Park.
• Professional bilingual guide (Spanish & English).
• High-quality camping equipment (Pro tents: Doite Cima 4, extralight-4,5kgs for 2 people), mattresses, eating tent with table & chairs, bathroom tent.
• Meals during the excursion (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner & snacks/Vegetarian option).
• Cook and cooking equipment.
• Horseman & mules, for all our personnel & camping equipment.
• Emergency horse.
• First-aid kit, including Oxygen bottle and safety rope.
- Sleeping bag (if you don't have a sleeping bag, there is the possibility of renting/buying one).
- Lodging in Cusco.
During our journey, we will climb up to 4,900m/16,076ft. Combined with the extreme weather, this trek can be hard work. We want you to remember this trek with a smile on you face; therefore please ensure that you are well-acclimatized, in a good shape and healthy prior to heading off.
Lodging & Prices: Our team of travel consultants has carefully selected the Hotels based on their excellent value and high standards. (Lower Prices + Top Service = Best Value). We can book any hotel for you at competitive rates, but published prices are based on the Qeros Tours Peru Top Hotel Picks.
Occupancy Hotel Category
Double/triple Tourist 2-star Superior 3-star Deluxe 4/5-star
Prices may vary according to season, availability & client preferences. Certain transport costs may not be included. Please, contact one of our expert Travel Consultants for more information.